Wednesday 7 September 2016

NFL Predictions 2016: Week 1

Back at it again! Way too long of an offseason, but finally football is back. The first week is usually a shit show and it's anybody's guess as to what happens, so I guess we'll find out soon!

Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos (CAR -5.5) -> Carolina Panthers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Atlanta Falcons (ATL -3) -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Minnesota Vikings @ Tennessee Titans (MIN -2) -> Tennessee Titans
Cleveland Browns @ Philadelphia Eagles (PHI -4) -> Cleveland Browns
Cincinnati Bengals @ New York Jets (CIN -2.5) -> Cincinnati Bengals
Oakland Raiders @ New Orleans Saints (NO -1) -> New Orleans Saints
San Diego Chargers @ Kansas City Chiefs (KC -7) -> Kansas City Chiefs
Buffalo Bills @ Baltimore Ravens (BAL -3) -> Buffalo Bills
Chicago Bears @ Houston Texans (HOU -6.5) -> Houston Texans
Green Bay Packers @ Jacksonville Jaguars (GB -5.5) -> Green Bay Packers
Miami Dolphins @ Seattle Seahawks (SEA -10.5) -> Seattle Seahawks
New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys (EVEN) -> New York Giants
Detroit Lions @ Indianapolis Colts (IND -3.5) -> Indianapolis Colts
New England Patriots @ Arizona Cardinals (ARI -6) -> Arizona Cardinals
Pittsburgh Steelers @ Washington Redskins (PIT -3) -> Pittsburgh Steelers
Los Angeles Rams @ San Fransisco 49ers (LA -2.5) -> San Fransisco 49ers

A couple notes...
- The Super Bowl rematch on Thursday loses a bit of excitement as Siemian is starting for the Broncos. He actually looked solid in the preseason, and he may surprise people, but against an incredibly stout Panthers defense, I can't see Denver coming out with the win.
- Matt Ryan's arm looked shot in the preseason. That's the main reason I'm going Tampa here, until I see Ryan hasn't lost a step, or at least looks adequate, I'm not gonna go with Atlanta.
- Speaking of QB's I need to see first, Minnesota has one hell of a team but man oh man week 1, it's either Shaun Hill, or Sam Bradford who may not know enough of the playbook to actually be able to play. Minnesota with Bridgewater was a Super Bowl contender, and Bradford may still be good enough to make them threats, but this early in the season, I'm gonna go with the team with a better QB. Also I'm a fan of the direction Tennessee is going in and what they showed this preseason with Murray and Henry.
- Cleveland and Philadelphia, eh, it's kind of a toss-up. Eagles are at home so my instinct wants to lean there, but I'm going to fall trap to the excitement of Cleveland's new offense. Also Wentz first game, and I was in the camp that he wasn't ready to start out of the gate, but once again I'm ready to be proven wrong.
- Bengals vs Jets should be a great game. Two tough defenses going at it, and two teams that should be fighting for playoff spots near the end of the year. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Andy Dalton, but he's still the better QB and that's why I'm going with the Bengals.
- Another exciting game between Oakland and New Orleans. Two high-powered offenses face off, and this is a tough one. I love the moves Oakland has done this offseason, and I think they are on the right track, and New Orleans has really struggled to be a consistent force as they once were, but New Orleans is also a team that has Drew Brees, and was once an absolute force at home. It's close, but home field advantage pushes it New Orleans way for me.
- KC should blow out San Diego. I love me some Phillip Rivers/Keenan Allen combo, but KC's defense is strong, and their offense should be consistent too.
- I believe in Tyrod Taylor being Buffalo's franchise QB, and frankly I think he's the better quarterback in this game against his former team the Ravens too. Baltimore's roster is old and has a lot of guys coming back from injury, so I don't know what to expect this season from them. Give me Buffalo here.
- The Texans are... Well... They are good. At least they should be if Brock Lobster is adequate. A stout defense and a run game with Nuk too is a good sign for Texans fans. I think Chicago is on the upswing too, and they made a lot of underrated signings like Freeman, Hicks and Trevathan, but I have absolutely no idea how Chicago is going to attempt to stop DeAndre Hopkins and Houston is at home too.
- I'm completely on board with the new look Jags, yet this is a team that has struggled mightily in September, losing by an average of 17.3 points over the past 3 years. Their offense is strong, Bortles, Robinson and Hurns are a terrific combo but they are going up against one of the most complete teams this year, and the best QB in the league. I wouldn't be shocked if the Jags take this game, but everything would have to go right, and the questions about their pass rush don't help their cause against an offense that thrives with time. Oh, Jordy's back too.
- Seattle's offensive line is awful. They also lost Marshawn Lynch. They should destroy the Dolphins. I'm not too high on Seattle this year, but their defense is too good to believe that Miami can take them IN Seattle.
- If Romo was healthy I'm taking Dallas all day long, but Dak's a go for week 1, and it makes things way more interesting. I loved what I saw from Prescott in the preseason, but he's still a rookie QB in his first regular season game ever. When he played with Dez in the preseason he went there often, and I expect to see a lot of Elliott too, but the Giants offense is a good one. OBJ, Shepard and Cruz (if healthy) should be able to handle the Cowboys D with ease.
- The Colts and Lions are both very weird teams. They both have good talent across the board, but have clear holes too. I think the Colts and their offense are in for a good bounce back year, so I'll take them for week 1 at least.
- If Brady was playing I'd take the Patriots but he's not so I'm taking the Cardinals. Simple as that. Although I want to see Carson Palmer back at his best because this preseason and last years postseason was rough.
- Anotnio Brown vs. Josh Norman week 1, yes please. I think Brown is gonna get his fair share of wins against Norman, and I like Pittsburgh as a whole better than Washington even on the road.
- First game the LA Rams are playing in a long time, and I'm taking the 49ers against the spread? I know, I suck. Oh well, it's Case Keenum vs. Blaine Gabbert, this is probably the worst game of the week. Give me the home team.

No comments:

Post a Comment